Friday, March 19, 2010

L is for Loser

I will go ahead and get the depressing news out of the way- I lost the biggest loser competition at my office. I guess if you think about it I came in second, but it was really only me and another girl that were taking it seriously. After pouting and sulking for a day or so, I have come to the conclusion that I still am a Big Loser, just not the biggest.

I have learned so many life lessons over the past 8 weeks- all because of a silly competition. The biggest lesson I learned was "Don't Quit". Most of my life, when something got too hard or a little uncomfortable I would quit. I would make an excuse, or throw a fit and just give up. I have grown a lot over the last couple years, and I have realized that failure is not a bad thing. Understanding that failure is a way to grow, and with the help of the competition and accountability I found in my coworker, I mustered up enough strength to push through when it started to get tough.... and I found something on the other side. Happiness.

You are probably thinking "all this from loosing a few pounds- Geeez!" But it is more than that. My entire view on health and fitness has changed for the better. I now look forward to afternoon hikes on the weekends, and 10 minute Yoga in the morning, and I can't wait to start my training for the 10K I will be running in July. When I look at a menu- I don't gravitate toward the chicken fingers and french fries, I have learned how to enjoy healthy food. It is a lifestyle change. Will I have set backs, hard days, weeks, or even months... of course- I'm human. But what I have to remember is not to quit... I have to hold on to that small success, and remind myself that if I could do it once, I can do it again- just don't give up.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you. See there are other things on the menu that are good besides your usual. I also have been trying to lose weight and so far I've only lost 8 lbs but I've also given up meat for lent. It has definatly been a challenge trying to follow through with not eating a steak everytime I want. Keep on trucking! Love you.

    ReplyDelete